About

I'm Shea and as I grow older I'm becoming grumpier about the noise around me.

When I moved to my current home and town fifteen years ago it was a small, friendly town and my location fairly idyllic.

The town has spread, I'm no longer sitting between town and fields but surrounded by development. As air traffic has increased, I've become aware of the flights to and from the nearest airport which are frequent, low and overhead. There can sometimes be groups of small children kicking balls around or riding bikes and scooters. There seem to be more young chaps with very noisy cars and motorbikes who seem to enjoy nothing more than repeatedly announcing their presence to the neighbourhood.

When I go out to eat, it feels like a lucky evening if there are no hen parties or children running rampant or just being noisy. I bought a home cinema after a particularly bad screening involving people munching,  walking past to visit the loo, generally commenting or vocalising. Why are so many people incapable of sitting still and doing nothing but watching the screen for a couple of hours?

So here's the thing. I began Googling terms like 'childfree places to visit', 'quiet places to live in the UK'  and the results were surprisingly disappointing.

They fall into categories:

1. Great places for families to visit. Google, that's the opposite of what I asked for...

2. Finding inner peace. Nice but not what I'm looking for. This includes finding peace within an urban  environment and generally making time for yourself to sit down and meditate for a while.

3. Top ten quietest places in the UK. Sometimes containing some very useful starting points. But a place that can be reached only by helicopter is very tempting but probably a tad impractical.

Where are the childfree or explicitly quiet restaurants / places to live / visit  in the UK?

Where is the advice about finding somewhere peaceful to live? (Without having a million to spend on a detached house in the middle of a country estate).

Where are the communities which require peace from their residents (I'm thinking of something more permanent than a 'retreat').

Where are the 'popcorn-free' cinema screenings?

If you know the answers to these questions, please do let me know. I plan to make a directory and would love to make a visit and review. (UK only. Places to eat / visit / live, not holiday resorts or retreats.).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rare opportunity to dine in peace

Wy have Warner Leisure dropped explicit 'childfree' messages in their ads?